Saturday, July 3, 2010

It had been playing on my mind

It was lesson three I asked the question. It had been on my mind for a while, but I just hadn’t dared to ask. But lesson three I decided I had too.

“John, you know I have to look in the mirrors every time I slow down or turn, or anything really?”

“Yes (grabs wheel, still haven’t got the hang of talking and steering at the same time)”

“Well what am I looking for exactly?”

“What do you mean what are you looking for?”

He had clearly never been asked this bizarre question before.

“Well when I go up to a speed bump or turn left, it doesn’t matter if I see a car behind me or not, I just do the same thing.”

“Andrew! You just keep looking in the mirrors, OK?”

“OK. Thanks John”

There was some justification after that, but the message was clear. Look in the mirrors.

Driving is about new experiences
Lesson three provided another first. I was driving down a busier road (as in it had other cars) and John, out of no where, said “clutch down, and third hear.”

I admit, I panicked a bit. It wasn’t what I would call a smooth transition. GRHREIHDFFGIHB, and there she is. Third gear. Thirty miles an hour. Hands in the ten to two position. It doesn’t get much more exhilarating than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment